LSNV prioritizes helping victims of domestic violence escape abusive relationships and works to preserve and reunify healthy families. We do this through brief advice and consultation, direct representation of clients, partnership with an array of pro bono volunteer attorneys, and close collaboration with a variety of local domestic violence and social services organizations and community response teams.
Cases We Handle:
- Protective Orders: We provide direct representation in both Family Abuse Protective Orders and General District Court protective orders, with priority given to cases involving abuse between intimate partners.
- Custody and/or Visitation: We provide consultation and advice to eligible applicants and help as many parents with direct representation as possible, with priority given to cases involving domestic violence.
- Child Support: We generally refer clients to seek assistance from the Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE), but we do sometimes represent clients on child support matters if we are already involved in other parts of their cases, such as custody.
- Spousal Support: We provide advice to clients and sometimes represent if we are already involved in other parts of their cases.
- Separation & Divorce: We generally do not have the resources to take on complicated, contested divorce cases, although we can sometimes assist clients in drafting a simple Property Settlement Agreement to resolve any contested issues. Thanks to the help of volunteer attorneys, we are able to help hundreds of clients each year obtain uncontested divorces.