LSNV attorneys advocate on behalf of low-income children and disabled children who experience unmet needs in the educational system. Our advocates work to inform families of the right of their children to receive an education, and to improve educational opportunities for children whose needs are not being met through the educational system. LSNV attorneys also advocate for children with disabilities who require additional services and benefits. Advocates provide assistance through informational sessions, handouts, presentations to community organizations and parent groups, and ongoing outreach to other community service organizations.
Types of Cases We Handle:
- Special Education cases
- School Discipline cases
- Adoptions, especially by step-parents and other relatives
- Access to public benefits, including health care, food stamps, and SSI (Supplemental Security Income) for children with disabilities
- Guardianships for disabled young adults
- Emancipation of minors, and
- Name changes, and correction of birth certificates
Help is provided through advice and counsel, representation at hearings or in court, or by referral to another source of assistance.